This is a list of doctors who may be willing to work with patients on a slow taper. This does not mean they are experts in benzodiazepine withdrawal. It means they have received positive feedback from others who have chosen to taper off benzodiazepines, or have requested to join our benzodiazepine aware doctors list. Seeing a provider on this list does not mean you will not experience withdrawal symptoms. It means you may have a supportive teammate to assist you in your benzodiazepine cessation.
Some things to keep in mind:
1. Add-on medications such as gabapentin, lyrica, clonidine, buspar and antidepressants are not required to taper. Most have little to no evidence of effectiveness at this time. Carefully consider any additional medications and be sure to get fully informed consent! Bring a copy of the Ashton Manual, and/or your intended taper plan, if available, to your first appointment to discuss with your prescriber.
2. We have found a safe taper lasts at least 10-12 months, not exceeding 5-10% every 2-4 weeks, and can be much longer.
3. We recommend you learn about benzodiazepines on your own and withdrawal options.
4. Read Tapering Solutions and bring a copy to your appointment.
5. Please treat all providers with respect.
If you would like to recommend a benzodiazepine knowledgable provider, or are a benzodiazepine knowledgable provider willing to do a slow, patient led taper, please contact us.
Benzodiazepine Information Coalition cannot give individual tapering advice or support. If you are experiencing a life threatening emergency please call 911, or the emergency number in your country.
Benzodiazepine Aware Prescribers
Haig H. Aharonian, MD
1200 N State St
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Kartik Ananth, MD
23000 Crenshaw Blvd, Ste 100
Torrance, California 90505
505 N. Mollison Ave. #201
El Cajon, CA 92021 (San Diego Area)
Daryl Ballin, MD
5525 Etiwanda Ave #224
Tarzana, CA 91356
John Humiston, MD
3636 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103(619) 814-5500
1020 Gravenstein Hwy S # 120
97 W. Bellevue Dr.
Sara Carrier, PA-C
Family Tree Health Care
19 Farrington Corner Road
Hopkinton, NH 03229