Educating about the potential adverse effects of benzodiazepines taken as prescribed.
Who we Are
We are a group of patients and medical professionals who believe the over-prescription of benzodiazepines without proper warning has resulted in a growing national epidemic of benzodiazepine injury. While we understand and respect the value of these drugs when used appropriately, deep and widespread ignorance of their risks on the part of patients and prescribers has caused enormous and preventable suffering.
Addiction or Harm?
Why Are We Solely Focused on Prescribed Use?
An analysis found that 12.5% of U.S. adults used benzodiazepines from 2015-2016, and only 0.2% met the criteria for a substance use disorder (SUD). Despite this, the mislabeling of prescribed patients as “addicted” continues in both medicine and the media, leading to confusion and dangerous, medically inappropriate treatments that can result in patient harm and protracted syndromes. This needs to change.
Programs & Projects
We seek to break the stigma and raise awareness around prescribed benzodiazepine injury, provide a voice to the patients who are suffering, and facilitate research and access to competent, evidence-based medical care for those impacted by benzodiazepine induced disability.
We are grateful for the opportunity to educate about benzodiazepines at the Eastern Virginia Medical School’s Physician Assistant Program event! On February 15, 2024, Dr. Michael Bohan, a physician from our Medical Advisory Board, took…
Following the recent release of Radio-Canada Enquête’s Cauchemar Sur Ordonnance (Prescription Nightmare), an exposé that featured two members of our medical advisory board—Nicole Lamberson, PA and Dr. Jim Wright—there has been an increase in the…
About Radio-Canada’s Enquête presents Cauchemar Sur Ordonnance (Season 17, Epsiode 17) The latest episode’s title translates to Prescription Nightmare in French. It delves into benzodiazepine overprescription and its harmful consequences. In this episode, we hear from Nicole…
SAFE + EASY DONATIONS
Support Benzodiazepine Awareness and Help Us:
- Gain recognition of the existence and severity of prescribed benzodiazepine injury
- Hold and participate in events to educate prescribers and the public
- Push for policies that protect patients on benzodiazepines, whether they choose to remain on or taper off
- Protect those presented with benzodiazepines as a treatment option by giving them true informed consent
- Create more media awareness about this silent epidemic
- Advocate for more prescriber training in safe prescribing and cessation
- Fund research and show the need for future research that helps the harmed