Our latest events, media outreach and blogs:
- This Is Life With Lisa Ling aired The Benzo Crisis on CNN. Krissy Tyrrell appears in the episode sharing her story of benzodiazepine harm. Brooke Monk worked hard with the production company to ensure the episode reflected the harm patient experience. (The episode available for purchase on iTunes, Amazon and Google Play)
- Nicole Lamberson, PA, and Krissy Tyrrell both posted videos after the episode discussing patient harm.
- Geraldine Burns, Angela Peacock, MSW and Sonja Styblo, MSW testified along with other harmed benzodiazepine patients testified in Massachusetts about the Benzo Bill.
- Joseph Witt-Doerring, M.D. spoke about benzodiazepines at the Society of Forensic Toxicologists conference in San Antonio, Texas. Christy Huff, M.D. was in attendance.
- Janice Curle was featured in an article about Facebook censorship of our cause by Cindy Harper at Reclaim the Net.
- Angela Peacock, MSW‘s story was covered by KMOV in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Christy Huff, M.D. attended the Women in Medicine Summit in Chicago.
- Janice Curle posted a new blog titled Benzo-Induced Harm: The Nameless Problem.
- BIC sponsored an event in Williamsburg, Virginia, hosted by Nicole Lamberson, PA and Angela Peacock, MSW.
- Joseph Yi, M.D. joined our medical board.
- Michael E. Bohan, M.D. joined our medical board.
- Christy Huff, M.D. appeared in Parade Magazine.
- Janice Curle posted a blog Yes, Benzos Help Some: That Doesn’t Justify Ignoring Patient Safety.
- Christy Huff, M.D. appeared on D. Foster’s Benzo Free Podcast.
These are our top benzodiazepine-focused picks:
- Professor C Heather Ashton DM, FRCP, patient hero and author of The Ashton Manual passed away on September 15, 2019.
- Michael Roberts of Denver’s Westword wrote an article featuring Lisa Ling, Krissy Tyrrell, Jana Hill, Dr. Scott Shannon of The Wholeness Center and the late John Patrick Walter, a deceased Colorado inmate.
- Paul Y. Sang, M.D. published an article commenting on medical training about benzodiazepines and an account of his father-in-laws rapid deterioration on and recovery from prescribed Klonopin.
- Benzodiazepine activist John Staight called into Dr. Drew Pinsky‘s show. While Dr. Drew advocates dangerous cold turkeys, he is aware of many problems with benzodiazepines and John discussed safer alternatives to cold turkey.
The latest research we find interesting:
- Robert Gibbons, Kwan Hur, Jill Lavigne, Jiebiao Wang and J. John Mann published Medications and Suicide: High Dimensional Empirical Bayes Screening (iDEAS) finding that diazepam (Valium) and alprazolam (Xanax) are both associated with statistically significant higher risks of suicidal behavior.
- Richard Burman led a team at Cape Town University to explain why patients experiencing unrelenting epileptic seizures, or status epilepticus, stop responding to first-line medication benzodiazepine. The just-published paper in the journal Brain: A Journal of Neurology not only describes the mechanism underlying benzodiazepine resistance in patients but also illustrates how, in certain situations, the drug actually exacerbates seizures, said corresponding author Dr. Joseph Raimondo, a senior lecturer in the Division of Cell Biology.
- Ville Cato, Fredrik Holländare, Axel Nordenskjöld and Tabita Sellin from Örebro University in Sweden found that benzodiazepine use may increase the risk of suicide.
All our work is possible because of individuals like you who support our mission.
Please help us keep going!